One New Thing Every Day

From the day I turned 29, I tried to do one new thing a day... it took a few extra months, but I did it! Now I'll post new things randomly as I try them.

Sunday, January 27, 2008

#118 - Memory Exercises

This evening I was talking to a family member who has noticed a change in her memory retention over the past few months. In an effort to help, I decided that a new thing for today would be to research short-term memory exercises. Unfortunately, many of the things I came up with are things that wouldn't help in my family member's case, including pneumonic devices, concentrating harder, and engaging your brain to remember simple things like numbers. There were also plenty of memory games like I played when I was young, using pictures, logos and audio clips... again, not terribly helpful in this case. I did stumble across a few studies about the links between exercise and short-term memory... if I lived closer to this family member, I'd volunteer to walk together, because really, who couldn't use a little more exercise?

No comments: