One New Thing Every Day

From the day I turned 29, I tried to do one new thing a day... it took a few extra months, but I did it! Now I'll post new things randomly as I try them.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

#251 - Rallying Cry


Today I attended a rally at my alma mater to help garner interest in keeping the marching band program in the future. It was exciting to have about 60-ish current, past and upcoming band members in attendance with instruments, and another 100 or so supporters with signs. It was a peaceful rally, not a protest or anything - we played the fight song and alma mater songs over and over, chanted and made noise. I didn't stay for the town hall meeting that took place afterwards, but according to the media, there were 500 people there with questions about the future of the University. All three news stations and our local newspaper showed up to cover the band rally and if you are so inclined, you can watch the news here:

Budget Cuts Could Hurt UNR Marching Band (KTVN Channel 2 - search by story title in the video box, look for me in the shot in the band room!)

UNR band protests what Glick says to be "deep and painful" cuts (KRNV Channel 4)

UNR Marching Band Vows to Play On (KOLO News Channel 8)

UNR band rallies to save itself (Reno Gazette-Journal)

Save the Band Rally Photos (Reno Gazette-Journal)

Just for fun, I've posted two photos of the Pride of the Sierra Marching Band playing at the final home game of the 1998 season. It's hard to believe this was ten years ago already.

No comments: