One New Thing Every Day

From the day I turned 29, I tried to do one new thing a day... it took a few extra months, but I did it! Now I'll post new things randomly as I try them.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

#141 - The Egg Roll Challenge

I've already mentioned that we had to buy our egg roll wrappers for tonight's new thing at a specialty store, and how much trouble it's been just to get all our ducks in a row just to get ready to make them tonight. We finally were able to complete this new thing, and we made egg rolls, just like you'd find at a Chinese restaurant. We started by chopping all the ingredients last night for inside the rolls, and this afternoon my dear husband added them all together and let them chill for an hour. We also had to defrost the lumpia shells, which looked like an extra-thin tortilla (which I'm holding up, above).

Then you cut them in half, add the filling and roll them according to the directions. Then you fry them in very hot corn oil until they are brown and crispy on the outside.


Finally, you take them out of the oil, let them cool, and eat them with sweet and sour sauce. We offered one to TLG to try, and he licked off all the sauce and decided not to try the food itself. So he ate some noodles for dinner instead.


One complaint about this dinner: it made our house smell terribly like fried foods. We do occasionally fry things, but usually just in vegetable oil, and it doesn't stink up the place that badly.

No comments: