One New Thing Every Day

From the day I turned 29, I tried to do one new thing a day... it took a few extra months, but I did it! Now I'll post new things randomly as I try them.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

#73 - Tantrums

Our family dealt with our first major kid meltdown at the grocery store tonight. This close to his birthday, our little guy decided to show his true opinions by having a total tantrum in the middle of Raley's because he wanted to play with a big toy truck (still in the box, naturally) instead of shopping. I knew this day would come, I just thought it would be later. We tried to diffuse things in steps:
1) explain why we couldn't play with the truck
2) try to distract him with something else
3) put him in the cart and try to keep shopping, and finally
4) Mommy and TLG went - kicking and screaming, literally - out to the car while Daddy paid for our items.
Since I was doing the carrying, I got lots of looks from the other Raley's patrons, though I saw more understanding looks than I expected... perhaps this is because I kept repeating loudly, over and over, "OK, we're done, let's go to the car." The two of us just sat in the car, as TLG's screaming continued, until Daddy came to join us a few minutes later. (Note to self: until further notice, make sure there is always a pacifier in the car!) TLG was so mad at us, he kept screaming all the way home and as we removed his jacket/hat/shoes and until we finally let him calm down on the couch to some TV. Eeeek I hope this doesn't become a regular thing!

No comments: