One New Thing Every Day

From the day I turned 29, I tried to do one new thing a day... it took a few extra months, but I did it! Now I'll post new things randomly as I try them.

Saturday, August 16, 2008

#290 - Bad Things Happen to Good People

This afternoon, some friends and I drove to a rural part of Nevada to visit a friend who is sick with an incurable disease: cancer. All things considered, my family has been fairly lucky to avoid this disease (though my relatives have other types of diseases, don't get me wrong). Not really knowing what I was getting into today, I was actually kind-of nervous for today's visit. Would he still have his wonderful sense of humor? Would he be strong enough to pass the time with us, have lunch, and visit for a few hours? Would he want to talk about what he's going through? The short answer is yes - his sense of humor is delightfully intact, he was more than strong enough for a visit (in fact, he was in a parade this morning!), and he told us all about how they detected the cancer and how they are treating it. I shouldn't have worried, because our friend and his family were very welcoming and are doing everything they can to fight the cancer through treatments and looking into research. I breathed a sigh of relief at that, and I pray that my friend's doctors can help him continue to live, laugh and love.

No comments: