One New Thing Every Day

From the day I turned 29, I tried to do one new thing a day... it took a few extra months, but I did it! Now I'll post new things randomly as I try them.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

#36 - Joy of cooking

I'll admit I'm not a very experienced cook. I have a repertoire of about two weeks' worth of dinners I can make without consulting a cookbook. And that's if you count things like grilled-cheese-and-tomato-sandwiches. So tonight when my wonderful hubby put me in charge of baking the potatoes, I had to consult a book for instructions. Yes, I've never successfully baked a potato. Who am I kidding, I've only ever tried once before and it was years ago. Well, despite my best efforts tonight, and following the directions (mostly) I can say I've STILL never successfully baked a potato. Tonight's side dish was semi-warm crunchy potatoes with sour cream and green onions. At least I had the toppings right!

3 comments:

M.O.M. said...

Wait! Wait! What do you mean - "I've still never cooked s potstoe?" Didn't they turn out? Were they edible? Did you cook them in a casserole? How was the raspberry chipoltle pork?
I think you're a fine cook!!
M.O.M.

Kate K. said...

Hi M.O.M. - Nope, the potatoes did not turn out... I washed them, poked holes and wrapped them in tin foil. Then I baked the hell out of them, and they were still crunchy and hard in the middle. Yuck. The pork was just OK, but I wouldn't buy it again. Not up to Costco's standards.

AW said...

Ha! Once again you made me smile, I remember when I had to look up how to bake a potato and I looked it up in Joy of Cooking also! Next time, don't put the foil on it until it comes out of the oven and you may have better luck. Just leave it on while you wait for the rest of the dinner to cook. If it still doesn't work, I'd have someone check out your oven. LY, AW