One New Thing Every Day

From the day I turned 29, I tried to do one new thing a day... it took a few extra months, but I did it! Now I'll post new things randomly as I try them.

Saturday, September 13, 2008

#318 - Soccer

The little guy and I went to an indoor soccer facility and took a one-hour soccer class today. My fantastic mother-in-law came along for support and to check the place out too. Background information: a week ago or so, we got a postcard in the mail about this place, which I'd never heard of, that has weekly soccer classes for kids as young as 18 months. Today's trial class was to see how TLG (and I) liked it. And I would say, generally, that it was a hit. We arrived early, and there was a bounce house that TLG enjoyed while we were waiting for class to start. They put him in a class of 3-and-4 year olds, so he was a little young. For the first 30 minutes, he did super: he was paying attention, kicking the ball like Coach was telling him, playing all the games. Then they took a quick water break, and a few minutes later when Coach started back up, TLG was acting tired and uncooperative. We stayed until the end of class, and we ran with them but he made me do all the ball-kicking. I think TLG's favorite part of soccer was getting his hand stamped at the end. I do have to say, though, for being in a class with older kids, he did great - he was paying attention more than some of the others, he was definitely the same size as all of them, and before he got tired he was kicking the heck out of the ball. I hope when he's a little older we can try this again and see if it holds his interest better.

No comments: