One New Thing Every Day

From the day I turned 29, I tried to do one new thing a day... it took a few extra months, but I did it! Now I'll post new things randomly as I try them.

Sunday, November 18, 2007

#53 - When did "Google" become a noun and a verb?

It's been a few years, at least, since Google became a noun and a verb. In my line of work, it helps to keep up with the best search engines available, and it occurred to me that it's been a while since I saw what was out there. So what did I do? I went to a search engine and typed in "search engine." Seemed obvious to me. There are a few I've never used, like AltaVista, WebCrawler and HotBot, plus one I'd never even heard of called DogPile. (Where do they come up with these names?) So I typed in my name and city in a few different search engines and compared the results. What do I think? For the most part, the information each brought up about me was an odd mix of new and old internet sites. Plus there are a bunch of other people in our great country with the same name! Interesting to know all these other options, though, and I'll be trying them out at work soon.

No comments: