One New Thing Every Day

From the day I turned 29, I tried to do one new thing a day... it took a few extra months, but I did it! Now I'll post new things randomly as I try them.

Sunday, November 11, 2007

#47 - Food, glorious food

Every weekend, we make a long shopping list and get everything we need for the week. Well, it's the time of year when people start having food drives, and our day care is no exception. In the past, of course we've participated in similar drives, but only with what we've had in the pantry already. During today's shopping trip, the little guy (TLG) and I chose a bunch of extra food to donate to the holiday food drive. I wanted to avoid giving just Thanksgiving-related food... I mean, yes, the holiday is important, but people only have one special meal that day and many, many other regular meals leading up to (and after) that. So we chose peanut butter, oatmeal, spaghetti sauce, noodles, potatoes au gratin mixes, and some cans of veggies instead of stuff like cans of cranberry and sweet potatoes. We are very blessed with not having to worry about food, and it feels good to help this time of year. Now, if everyone would remember that people who need food don't JUST worry at holiday time! This is a year-round problem in every community.

No comments: