One New Thing Every Day

From the day I turned 29, I tried to do one new thing a day... it took a few extra months, but I did it! Now I'll post new things randomly as I try them.

Monday, December 14, 2009

#414 - Mango Madness

This past weekend at the grocery store, TLG pointed at a fruit display and asked, "What are those, Mommy?" I had to look at the sign before I knew for sure those funny greenish fruits were mangoes. Shows you how much experience I have with them, right? How did I grow up in California and not learn how to pick a good mango, much less prepare it for eating?!? So we bought two mangoes and I pledged to figure out how to eat them. After a quick call to my fabulous brother-in-law, who explained they are much like an avocado (in that you have to cut out the large seed in the middle, and you don't eat the skin), we were ready to try it. Tonight I took a sharp steak knife and went to town - the mango we chose was soft and once I cut it into quarters around the seed, I was able to peel the skin off by hand. Then it was just a matter of cutting off the seed and into pieces for eating. It was delicious and now that I know how easy it is, we'll need to add this fruit to our repertoire.

No comments: